Friday, September 26, 2008

Just One of Those Days!

So, let's start with this morning. I'm running 10 minutes late (which usually isn't too big of a deal, but I live in South Jordan now so there are a lot more chances for me to run into obstacles on my way to work). Then, I remembered that I left my lunch on top of my car. So, I race back the way I came to see if I can salvage it. I pass a 25 speed limit sign that has the annoying flasher thingy telling you how fast your going. Let's just say that I got up to a number that it does not recognize and it stopped flashing at me. I get all the way back to my apartment, only to realize that it was safely in the back seat the whole time.

Luckily, I make it to school only 10 minutes late even though I wasted five minutes looking for my stupid lunch. I raced around the school, getting the things I needed and reading the notes left by the sub since I was at meetings yesterday. The morning went smoothly. THEN, the chaos began.

First, I realize that one of my students has some white flaky stuff in their hair. Dandruff right? Wouldn't have given it a second thought except for a couple of days ago, a mom of a student came in to tell me her son had lice. GREAT! So, they all got checked and they found two other students with lice. Even better. So, I'm super paranoid about it. They call the nurse in, check her hair. It's just dandruff. Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

Then, my students went to art and then to an assembly with the art teacher. It was my prep time and I had a lot to get done, but nothing got done. Reason: I was sabotaged and had to go to the assembly. My class won an award for a fundraiser and I am glad I was there, but the part I needed to be there for wasn't until the end. So, I'm literally running back and forth between the assembly and my classroom trying to get more stuff done for the rest of the day and not miss the important part. Nothing was prepared during my prep time.

At the assembly one of my students was hysterical because he thought he wasn't going to win a prize for the whole third-grade level. Well, I was pretty much doomed because he won't calm down after something like that and there are 70 kids in the third grade. Somehow, his name got chosen and he won. That was a relief!

THEN...my students go to lunch, everything's fine and dandy. After lunch goes pretty well. My students have their ice cream party for raising the most money for the fundraiser. Then, they go to recess.

Of course, one of my girls decides to tie her jacket (that was already tied around her waist) to the bars on the playground so she can swing around. So, of course she gets stuck on the bars. Luckily, another teacher sets her free. I wasn't going to. I would have just let her stay there.

Now, it's time for Fun Friday. It's just for kids in third grade who did all of their homework that week. Only three of my students got to go. THREE! And even they didn't deserve to go, but I let them go anyway because they were close to getting all of their homework in.

So, they come in from recess. I send my whole class to homework club (what they do if they don't go to Fun Friday) and two of my students come up and tell me that some fourth graders threatened to beat them up at recess. So, I call the principal and try to get that all worked out while the rest of the third graders are waiting for me to start Fun Friday.

Fun Friday is good. Then, it's time for the early birds to leave (that's half of my class). Later gators stay and we go take a quick bathroom break before we have to start some testing. One of my students comes out and tells me another one of my students is looking over the bathroom stalls. Then, another boy comes out and tells me there's poop on the walls in one of the stalls.

Finally, we get testing started and everything goes well with that. But, alas. The bell is about to ring and who calls? A mother who wants to bring in a lengthy form for me to fill out about her son's behavior. Can I please just go home?! There are papers everywhere on my desk and I have too much to do and no time. I have to leave in 25 minutes!!

Well, that is a pretty-typical day in the life of a teacher.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

OH MY GOSH! I would go crazy! I hope every day isn't like that, especially with the poop and everything.

Vanessa said...

Well Shoot Gina, isn't that why you went to college, to earn the BIG BUCKS teaching school or was it the reward of knowing you are making a difference in young lives? I wonder, did they ever mention the poop and lice?!?